Pharmaceutical liability litigation involves dangerous drugs that have the potential to kill or seriously harm users.
- $4.85 Billion in Vioxx Litigation (MDL 1657): Merck & Co., Inc. agreed to pay $4.85 billion to resolve Vioxx-related claims involving heart attack, sudden cardiac death or stroke. Anapol Schwartz Partner Sol Weiss served as Co-Liaison Counsel in the New Jersey Vioxx litigation.
- $3.75 Billion Settlement in Fen-Phen Litigation (MDL 1203): American Home Products Corporation agreed to compensate thousands of people who used the diet drugs and suffered heart valve disease.
- $205 Million Rezulin Settlement (MDL 1348): Pfizer settled thousands of claims alleging the Rezulin diabetes drug caused severe liver damage and sometimes death.
- $200 Million Trasylol Settlement (MDL 1928): Bayer agreed to settle lawsuits alleging the heart surgery drug increased risk of kidney failure, heart attack, stroke and death.
- $114.5 Million Baycol Settlement (MDL 1431): Bayer settled thousands of lawsuits alleging use of the drug Baycol led to kidney failure, the development of a disease that causes damage to muscle called rhabdomyolysis, and other injuries.
- $90 Million Propulsid Settlement (MDL 1355): Janssen Pharmaceutical, Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, settled lawsuits alleging dangerous heartbeat irregularities associated with Propulsid, a drug used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- $40 Million Vaccine Settlement: A settlement of $9 million with a lifetime payout of $40 million was obtained on behalf of a child who suffered developmental delay and an intractable seizure disorder as a result of a reaction to the chicken pox vaccine.
- Numerous Confidential Multi-Million-Dollar Settlements involving dangerous drugs.
Defective Medical Devices
Anapol Schwartz has successfully litigated numerous dangerous medical device lawsuits.
- Biomet M2a Magnum Hip Implant Settlement: Biomet has agreed to pay a $200,000 base award to people who needed their metal-on-metal hip implant replaced.
- Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II Hip Implant Settlement: The settlement will provide a base award of $300,000 per case, which is the highest base settlement in any metal-on-metal hip implant litigation
- $2.5 Billion Proposed DePuy ASR Hip Settlement: Patients with the ASR hip have experienced health problems as a result of the hip implant’s cobalt and chromium components grinding together and shedding metal debris into the body.
Products liability litigation involves defective and unreasonably dangerous products that can kill or injure people.
- $26 Million Verdict Against General Motors: The defective design of a passenger’s seat back failed in a rear-end collision and rendered the passenger a quadriplegic.
- $10.2 Million Verdict Against Volkswagen: Volkswagen paid $10.2 million in a products liability case for lack of an anti-submarining ramp for a rear-center seated occupant
- $12 Million Verdict Against a Football Helmet Company: This is the largest known verdict against a football helmet company for a spinal cord injury sustained by a user.
- $8.8 Million Verdict Against Ford Motor Company: Ford paid $8.8 million in a product liability lawsuit on behalf of a person injured in a roll-over accident
- $1.75 Million Settlement in a Forklift Injury Case: A forklift driver was paralyzed when the boom of another forklift struck the rear of his seat and propelled him into a metal bar, breaking his neck and paralyzing him from the waist down.
- Numerous Confidential Multi-Million-Dollar Settlements involving industrial and consumer products.
A class action is a lawsuit in which a large group of people who have suffered the same injury brings a claim to court against a common defendant or defendants.
- $765 Million Proposed Settlement in NFL Concussion Litigation: The settlement will contribute to immediate medical support to retired players in addition to funding new brain injury safety and research programs.
- $17.75 Million Partial Settlement in Luzerne County Kids for Cash Litigation: The builder of two juvenile detention facilities allegedly paid millions of dollars in “finder’s fees” to two former Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas judges.
Medical malpractice lawsuits are filed when medical staff’s negligence causes death or serious harm to patients.
- $22 Million Medical Malpractice Verdict: A man was disabled and unable to keep his job as a backhoe operator after undergoing unnecessary spinal fusion surgery.
- $9.6 Million in a Birth Injury Case: A substantial birth injury occurred during labor.
- $8.3 Million in a Brain Injury Case: A woman was overdosed on pain medication in the hospital and suffered permanent brain injury.
- $4 million Verdict in Shoulder Dystocia Case: A mother and baby suffered permanent injuries when an obstetrician negligently delivered the 10-pound child following a prolonged labor involving shoulder dystocia.
- $3.5 Million Verdict in a Nerve Damage Case: A woman suffered permanent sciatic nerve and muscle damage in her left leg caused by a post-operative injection
- $2.1 Million Verdict in a Negligence Case: A child was admitted to an area hospital for respiratory distress from pneumonia, but attending doctors did not evaluate and transfer the boy in time to save him.
- $2 Million Verdict in a Misdiagnosis Case: A 25-year-old woman died as a result of pneumonia misdiagnosis shortly after delivering a premature baby girl.
- $1.7 Million in a Failure to Diagnose Case: A doctor’s failed to diagnose a rupturing aorta aneurysm.
- $1.4 Million Medical Malpractice Settlement: A woman died from cardiac dysrythmia during a routine colonoscopy during which no monitor was prescribed.
- $1.1 Million Verdict in a Misdiagnosis Case: A man died as a result of misdiagnosis of a debilitating muscle condition called rhabdomyolysis
- $1.1 Million Verdict in a Drug Interaction Case: A man died as a result of misdiagnosis of a drug interaction between Lopid and Lipitor.
- $800,000 Settlement in a Brachial Plexus Palsy Case: A third-year resident without shoulder dystocia experience delivered a child. The baby’s head was pulled with excess force, resulting in a brachial plexus injury.
- $750,000 Settlement in a Delayed Diagnosis Case: A four-year-old had a very treatable type of bladder cancer if caught early, but it took her pediatricians five months to diagnosis her disease.
- $650,000 Verdict in a Wrongful Death Case: The case was the largest known victory in Harrisburg and reputed to be the first malpractice case that was successfully concluded in the County.
Workplace and Construction Accidents
A person brings a workplace lawsuit when a preventable accident caused death or serious harm. Construction lawsuits involve a preventable incident at a construction site that injured someone.
- $19 Million Settlement in a Paralysis Case: An iron worker fell 13 feet and was rendered a quadriplegic after the construction company permitted employees to work without safety equipment at heights of up to 30 feet.
- $14 Million in a Workplace Safety Verdict: A 23-year-old roofer suffered a right leg fracture, a dislocated wrist fracture, and a broken back and spinal cord injury when he fell off a roof and a bundle of shingles broke through his slide-guard protection.
- $5 Million Verdict in an Elevator Shaft Fall Case: A man was killed in an elevator shaft fall caused by violations of state safety code and continuing to service a condemned elevator.
- $3.75 Million Settlement in Fatal Fire Case: A mother and three sisters were killed in a fire caused by a heater that did not adhere to adequate inspection protocols and lacked certain features that decreases short-circuiting.
- $2.7 Million Verdict in a Hand Amputation Case: A machine operator was clearing a jam on a panel cutter and suffered a hand amputation when the cutting mechanism sliced his hand.
- $2.5 Million Settlement for an Electrician Crushed: An improperly secured 250-pound light fixture fell more than 20 feet and crushed an electrician.
- $2 Million Settlement in a Construction Accident Case: Seven workers fell 40 feet when construction materials collapsed into a mass of twisted scaffolding and wet cement.
- $1.75 Million Settlement for a Paralyzed Refinery Worker: A refinery worker was paralyzed from the waist down when he fell 28 feet while trying to turn off a valve at a refinery during an emergency
- $1 Million Global Settlement in PECO Lawsuit: Workers were injured by PECO electricity lines when a metal hoist contacted a power line of the PECO Energy Company.
- Substantial Settlement in Construction Accident Case: A woman narrowly escaped death as she walked along Walnut Street in Philadelphia when an aerial lift across the street crashed into a building above her.
Toxic tort law involves exposure to dangerous substances that can kill or seriously injure people.
- More than $1 Billion Total in Asbestos Recoveries in 25 Years
- $4.3 Million Settlement in a Tetra-Ethyl Lead Exposure Case: Anapol Schwartz obtained $4.3 million in a case against DuPont involving exposure to tetra-ethyl lead.
- $1.5 Million Award in a Mesothelioma Case: This was the largest asbestos lawsuit victory in Delaware County at the time.
Our Pennsylvania vehicle accident lawyers handle a wide variety of cases involving car, bus and truck accidents as well as insurance issues.
- $20 Million Verdict Against a Trucking Company: A man suffered a brain injury after driving his car into the rear end of a tractor trailer stopped on the Schuylkill Expressway
- $2.5 Million Award for Arbitration in an Auto Accident Case: A landscaper injured his thigh, knees, lower legs and toes and suffered the loss of his spleen.
- $2 Million Award in a Truck Accident Case: A client suffered brain injury, permanent memory loss and personality changes when a tractor trailer caused a serious accident.
- $1.4 Million Verdict in a Car Accident Case: A man suffered multiple injuries in a car accident, including a left arm brachial plexus injury.
- $1.3 Million Verdict for a Man Struck by a SEPTA Bus: A sanitation worker was standing on a trash truck that was sideswiped by a SEPTA bus.
- $1.15 Million Settlement for a Child’s Death in Auto Accident: A 4-year-old boy died from severe injuries when a tractor trailer struck the side of a car in which the boy was seated.
- $740,000 Settlement for a Woman Injured in a Drunk Driving Accident: A woman suffered a mild brain injury in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.
Premises lawsuits involve landowners’ liability when injury occurs on their property.
- A Multi-Million Settlement in an E. coli Case: A child contracted E. coli at the Philadelphia Petting Zoo.
- $1.07 Million Verdict in a Canoe Accident Case: An injured record producer was hit by a canoe and suffered hearing loss.
- $700,000 Verdict in a Wrongful Death Case: Five Star Cleaning Service failed to notify the homeowner about their employee’s criminal past.
Securities lawsuits involve a person’s monetary losses as a result of fraud or error.
- $1.2 Million Verdict in a Fraud Case: The client was awarded compensatory and punitive damages when she sued her husband for fraud in undervaluing the couple’s jointly held stock.
The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program was established by the federal government as a way for people injured by vaccines to obtain compensation.
- $40 Million Settlement for an Encephalopathy Victim: Vaccine injury lawyers Larry Cohan and David Carney obtained $9 million with a lifetime payout of $40 million on behalf of a child who suffered a reaction to the chicken pox vaccine that left him with a developmental delay and seizure disorder.
- $11.6 Million for a Guillain-Barré Syndrome Victim: A woman received $4.5 million with an expected lifetime payout of $11.6 million after developing Guillain-Barré syndrome and becoming paralyzed.
- $460,000 Settlement for a Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) Victim: A woman was diagnosed with CIDP after receiving a flu vaccine.