Nationally, there were 30,797 fatal car wrecks in 2009 (the most recent year for which data is currently available).
Of those 30,797 accident fatalities:
· 17,640 were drivers of cars.
· 6,770 were vehicle passengers.
· The rest were a combination of motorcyclists, pedestrians, bicyclists, and unknown victims.
Fatal Car Accidents by State: Pennsylvania
In 2008 (the most recent year for which PA data is currently available):
· 1,468 people died. In other words, about 1 person died every 6 hours in a Pennsylvania car crash.
· 534 of the deaths were related to alcohol use while driving.
· 474 of the deaths were caused by speeding.
The sudden death of a loved one in a car crash is devastating. For each of the deaths described above, there are loved ones including parents, children, spouses, siblings, relatives, and friends who are left mourning.
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal crash, please share your thoughts with us in the comments. You may provide much needed comfort and support to another grieving family.