Who may file a claim?
- You may file a claim if you received a vaccine covered by the VICP and believe that you have been injured by this vaccine.
- You may file a claim if you are not a United States citizen.
- You may file a claim if you are the parent or legal guardian of a child or disabled adult who received a vaccine covered by the VICP and believe that the person who received it was injured by this vaccine.
- Some people who receive vaccines outside of the U.S. may be eligible for compensation, but must meet other criteria. For more information on these criteria, call 1-800-338-2382 or visit the VICP website .
In addition, to be eligible to file a claim, the effects of the person’s injury must have:
- lasted more than 6 months after the vaccine was given; or
- resulted in a hospital stay and surgery; or
- resulted in death.
What if you suffer a side effect from the vaccine?
You may be eligible to bring a claim under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. Learn more here.
What is the deadline to file a National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) claim?
- For an injury, your claim must be filed within 3 years after the first symptom of the vaccine injury.
- For a death, a claim must be filed within 2 years of the death and 4 years after the start of the first symptom of the vaccine-related injury from which the death occurred.
- When a new vaccine is covered by the VICP or when a new injury/condition is added to the Vaccine Injury Table (Table), claims that do not meet the general filing deadlines must be filed within 2 years from the date the vaccine or injury/condition is added to the Table for injuries or deaths that occurred up to 8 years before the Table change. The Table lists and explains injuries that are presumed to be caused by vaccines.
Three Federal government offices have a role in managing the VICP:
- the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS);
- the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ); and
- the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (the Court).
The VICP is located in the Division of Vaccine Injury Compensation, Healthcare Systems Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration, HHS.
Who should you contact for a lawsuit for side effects from the vaccine?
You may be eligible to bring a claim under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. Contact our Vaccine Lawyers.