Practice these ladder safety tips to prevent catastrophic ladder injury.
First select the right type of ladder for the right project. The style, size, duty rating, and material from which the ladder is made of are the basis of ladder safety. The Duty Rating of a ladder must be greater that the total weight of the user, his tools and supplies, and other objects placed upon the ladder. The length of the ladder must be sufficient so the climber does not have to stand on the top rung or step.
More ladder safety tips:
- Wear non slip shoes.
- Examine your ladder prior to using; closely view the moving parts for damage.
- Check for overhead clearance.
- Use fiberglass ladders when working near electricity.
- Ensure all locks are engaged and the ladder is securely supported.
- Place on firm non-slippery ground.
- Keep your body centered; do not overreach or lean to the side.
- Use a tool belt or conveyor to bring along tools; need both hands for climbing.
- Keep one hand on the ladder at all times.
- Donít get on a ladder during a storm or high winds.
- Donít climb more than one rung at a time.
- Never stand on the highest level of the ladder such as the second rung from the top of a stepladder and the fourth rung from top of an extension ladder.
- Allow for only one person at a time to be on a ladder.
- Donít move the ladder without first descending, relocating the ladder, and then re-climbing.
- Stop using ladders exposed to excessive heat and corrosive substances which may result in strength reduction.
- Transporting ladders on vehicles equipped with ladder racks.
- Store racks with enough support to avoid sagging; don't place objects on ladders while ladders are stored.
Falls and injuries happen when you become careless and hurry; the ladder is worn or damaged or recalled; you are not paying attention; thereís a sudden movement; the userís age or physical condition; and improper footwear.
In the event a ladder is discarded, it must be destroyed in such a manner as to render it useless. Another person must not be afforded the opportunity to use a ladder that has been deemed unsafe.
Do you have an unsafe ladder lawsuit?