Clothing fires must be avoided because burn injuries are often severely painful, disfiguring, and can cause death.
For instance in the case of a 69-year-old man whose terry cloth robe sleeve caught fire as he removed toast from an electric toaster. The terry-cloth robe burned quickly, also burning the man. Although the fire was extinguished, the man died four days later.
In another instance, an elderly woman caught on fire after she bent over to turn on a space heater. Alone at the time, she tried to get water from the sink. When that failed she tried the bathtub. Finally, she wandered outside seeking help; it was too late.
The majority of clothing fires happen to post 65-year-olds and under 5-year olds.
If you or someone you know or even donít know is burning because of hazardous clothing, strip bare if possible. If not Ė stop, drop, and roll. This helps to smother the fire, cutting off the oxygen so it will stop burning. Donít run because this just fans the flames, making it worse.
Use a blanket, rug, or coat to help smother the fire. Cool the burn with water and call 911. Do not attempt to remove burned clothing if stuck to the skin. Keep the victim quiet and warm until help arrives.
If you or a family member has suffered serious burn injuries from clothing fires or a loved has died as a result from burns and heart failure caused by clothing fires Ė please get help and support from a law firm to find out what your legal options are and whether you or your family qualifies for a clothing fire injury lawsuit.