As with pedestrian accidents, bicycle accidents can be very dangerous, even fatal for the bicyclist victim. Bicycle accidents can happen to even the safest of drivers and riders alike. Even in areas where bicycles are riding in marked bicycle lanes or riders are clearly visible with safety lights and gear, can a bicycle accident occur.
Some examples of common types of bicycle accidents:
- An automobile driver turning directly in front of a bicyclist
- An automobile driver turning into street traffic from a driveway or parking lot and turning directly in front of a bicyclist
- An automobile driver failing to yield at an intersection, failing to stop at a stop sign or running through a red light
- An automobile driver's failure to recognize or acknowledge the presence of a bicyclist
- An automobile driver's failure to look both ways before continuing travel after a stop or yield sign
- An automobile driver who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
As bicycle traffic increases, many more areas are constructing special bike lanes for bicyclists, but this still does not guarantee any safety to the bicyclist against automobile drivers. It also does not guarantee that a bicyclist will be more visible to an automobile driver.
Many factors can come into play in a bicycle accident. The laws surrounding bicycle accidents are complicated and may vary depending on the situation and type of roadway. Please contact one of our experienced bicycle accident lawyers at Anapol Schwartz for your free consultation today.